Saying goodbye to summer was bittersweet. There are so many things about summer beauty that I love including the no-makeup bronze-y look, bright nail colors and loose beach waves. As the cooler temps roll in, however, I’ve been looking for simple and effortless ways to transition my beauty routine without breaking the bank. Here are five of my go-to skincare and beauty tricks for when the seasons change:
1. Limit cleanser to once a day. Cool weather means less sweat and oil build-up on the skin. To avoid drying out the skin on my face, I only using a soapy cleanser at night to remove all dirt and makeup. In the morning, I like to use a Micellar water-soaked cotton pad to remove any lingering dirt. Afterwards, I’ll moisture continue with your moisturizer/treatments as normal.
2. Swap your nude lipstick for a berry one. Deep lip colors are a fall favorite, because they tend to look great on all skin tones. When I’m rocking berry lip (think: a warm cranberry or rich brown), I like to keep the rest of my face light on makeup. The contrast brings attention to the lips without looking overdone. If I’m wearing eye shadow, I’ll use a color that’s one shade darker than my skin tone.
Product recommendation: Colour Pop Ultra Matte Lip in LAX, $6, colourpop.com
3. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! Since the weather isn’t bone-chilling cold just yet, there’s a chance I might still rock a peep-toe heel or ankle-baring lace-up bootie. If I’m going to be showing off my toes, I always try to make sure I keep my feet moisturized (note: having dry and ashy feet is never a good look). I love using Aquaphor all over the body. It works wonders for the skin, cuticles and lips. I use it daily right after the shower or right before I slip into bed.
Product recommendation: Aquaphor Healing Ointment, $11.97, target.com
4. Protect your hair. I don’t know about you, but I tend to use heat to style my hair more often during fall. With little to no humidity, I know that my hair will hold up throughout the day. That’s why I use a hair protectant before a flat iron ever touches my tresses. I also wear so many hats that I want to ensure my hair looks good when I remove them. I can’t stress enough how important it is to protect your hair from heat at all times, but especially during these months.
Product recommendation: Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen & Grow Thermal Protectant, $10.99, target.com
5. Keep nails classic and sexy. Nobody loves bright or pastel nail colors as much as I do, but fall is the time to tone it down and reach for something rich or natural-lookin. I honestly don’t love deep nail shades, so I use a lot of nude shades and mix them up. Find a nail set that has everything that you’ll need to last all season like this one.
Product recommendation: Deborah Lippman Undressed Shades of Nude Set, $34, sephora.com
Love, peace & beauty,