I’d been holding out on doing any major fall/winter shopping in anticipation of those awesome holiday sales — specifically, the after-Christmas sales. Luckily, I wasn’t in serious need of any key pieces and was able to shop my closet in the interim. Besides any seasoned shopper knows that you can score anywhere from 50% to 75% off on coveted items the day after Christmas, so the wait was worth it.
My shopping list was relatively short: a winter coat, a medium-sized black handbag, a pair of boyfriend jeans, a pair of shoe booties, a knitted top, and some new statement jewelry. I’m typically an online shopper (I can’t deal with long lines in-store — especially, during the holidays), so half of the things I picked up were purchased online and the other in-store:
1. Double-Breasted Wool Coat in Gray, $29.99 (originally $59.99), zara.com: This coat is irresistibly chic. When I spotted it in-store, it immediately reminded me of the dreamy double-breasted coats with wide lapels from Celine’s fall 2013 collection.
2. Chunky Gold Collar, $32 (paid $24 with member points), baublebar.com: I’ve bought cheaper made versions of chain link necklaces from popular fast fashion stores that have either tarnished or broke within weeks (all were under $15). So, I decided it was time to invest in something a little sturdier with better quality.
3. Slim Fit Boyfriend Jeans, $39.95 (paid $20 in-store the day after-Christmas), hm.com: I’ve been on the hunt for the perfect pair of boyfriend jeans for a while. When you have hips and a booty, finding the right fit with this particular style of denim is tough (they tend to bunch up in the groin area). I didn’t have that problem with these and have since done some DIY distressing with help from a few YouTube tutorials and absolutely love them.
4. Zara Turtleneck T-Shirt, $19.99 (originally $29.99), zara.com: There’s a T by Alexander Wang top that’s nearly identical to this one that I’ve been ogling on TheOutnet.com — but couldn’t justify spending $100 for. The moment I laid eyes on this version (during the same shopping trip where I found the coat), buying it was a no-brainer. The material is lightweight and practically sheer, so you can layer it with a camisole.
5. Iced Lauriat Pendant Necklace, $36 (paid $32 with member points), baublebar.com: I’m kind of obsessed with long necklaces and layering them right now. Not digging it? I dare you to look at this throwback pic of Oscar de la Renta and his perfectly accessorized first wife Francoise and not be wowed.
6. Croco Combined Bowling Bag, $39.99 (originally $49.99), zara.com: I’ve been rocking this 3.1. Phillip for Target tote pretty regularly. However, it’s a tad too big for those lazy weekend days when you don’t want to carry a big bag, but need more room than a clutch. This Zara bag is the perfect balance and also comes with a detachable cross-body strap, which makes it feel like two bags in one.
7. Faux Snakeskin Belt in Black, $5.95, hm.com: I needed a new black belt. This one was cute, cost $6 — and since I was already in H&M buying jeans . . . sold.
8. 10 Crosby Derek Lam ‘Ynez’ Booties in Burgundy Suede, $119.97 (originally $330), piperlime.com: I’ve been wanting a fun pair of shoe boots in a color other than black or tan all season. This oxblood pair complete with a suede upper and leather cap toe from designer Derek Lam’s lower-priced line, 10 Crosby, are super stylish — and really comfortable.
Grand total I spent just under $310 (once you factor in online shipping) for eight items — including a wool coat, a pair of suede and leather boots and a handbag. Score!!!
READERS’ TAKE: What fashionable finds did you pick up over the holidays? Share in the comments section.
Keep it stylish,