I’m trying something new this week called the “The Beauty Breakdown” where I break down some of the best beauty-related things I’ve seen recently online. Let’s get into it:
1. How gorgeous was Nina Dobrev at the Teen Choice awards? I loved her J. Mendel pantsuit, but the beauty junkie in me loved her romantic makeup look — nude lips, a (lighter) smoky eye and flushed cheeks. It looked great with the sexy ponytail she rocked. It’s a look that will transfer well from summer to fall.
Want to try it? First, reach for your favorite tinted moisturizer or BB cream to give your face a flawless finish. Dab a cheek stain (I like Josie Maran Coconut Watercolor Cheek Gelee in Poppy Paradise) on the apples of your cheeks. Play up your eyes by combining a sultry eye palette (a la Bobbi Brown’s Navy & Nude) with a lash-boosting mascara like YSL Volume Effet Faux Cils (if you’re going all out, try false lashes). Finish the look with a rosy nude on your pout — my current obsession is Josie Maran’s Hydrating Lipstick in Happy Honey.
2. Jason Wu is launching a limited-edition makeup line with Lancome, just in time for fashion week. The 15-piece beauty collection will be available at Bergdorf Goodman’s Manhattan flagship location, as well as at Nordstrom stores nationwide and will feature eyeshadows, lipstick, nail polish and mascara. Price points will range from $15 to $49. Repeat after me: Jason Wu can do no wrong.
3. Allure rounded up the best shades for brunettes a while back, but it’s piquing my interest now that summer is on its way out. As someone who can’t wait to darken my tresses each fall, the magazine’s guide comes in handy. I’m tempted to take a photo of Mila Kunis to my next coloring sesh.
4. Michelle Williams looks stunning in the Louis Vuitton ads making the rounds. Seriously, MW should be the “I’m feeling lucky” result when you Google “how to rock a red lip.”
5. The Beauty Department dissected Rachel Bilson’s 60s-inspired cat eye. And I can’t get to my eyeliner fast enough! Check out their step-by-step tutorial on how to recreate her eye-catching look.